My name is Shelia White and I'm a Reading Interventionist here at Ridgeland Elementary. I work with first and second grade students in small group reading sessions. Each group session is approximately 30 minutes. When working with my groups we focus on different reading strategies to help improve their reading ability.
I have been working here at RES for 16 years. I spent 11 years teaching Pre-Kindergarten, 2 years in Kindergarten, and this is my 3rd year working as a Reading Intervention.
One of my greatest accomplishment working for JCSD was being named the Jasper County School District Teacher of the Year in 2013-2014.
A great site to work with students on to increase comprehension skills:
Summer Reading Tips For Parents
- Read aloud together with your child everyday
- Set a good example (let your child see you reading)
- Read the same book your child is reading and discuss it
- Let kids choose what they want to read, and don't turn your nose up at popular fiction
- Buy books on tape, especially for a child with learning disabilities
- Take your children to the library regularly
- Encourage children to keep a summer scrapbook
- Read together everyday for 30 minutes.
- Read with fun in your voice.
- Be interactive.